Hold Ups - keep ripping!!!! Any advice!

amirasexyslim
8 posts. Member since May 2021
6th Oct '21 - 08:34AM
Hey all

I know this sounds funny but I seriously go through millions of hold ups and it is driving me crazy!!!!

I tend to wear them more than stockings/suspenders but they just seem to blooming ladder so quickly.

I buy them from Boots/John Lewis/M & S - so I would have thought the quality is good but for goodness sake no sooner have I got them on and working then they are laddered!!!

It sounds so funny and it is I guess, but it flipping drives me mad as I am having to keep buying again and again.

So anyone have any recommended manufacturers I can buy from or shops!!!

Thanks girls

Wish you all a great week.

Love
Amira xx
User deleted
Angie55
User no longer active
6th Oct '21 - 11:01AM
I have bought from various companies over the years Amira. Some good and some not so good.
I always buy two pairs of same so that if one ladders you can keep the good one in case your next pair ladder.. I normally stretch them when I take them out packing, and always put on foot first then roll them up the legs then tend to gently pull into place when further up the legs.. I used to spray with some hair spray which did help.. make sure your jewellery isn’t catching on them too. And also wash them preferably by hand too.. ??
User deleted
Angie55
User no longer active
6th Oct '21 - 11:02AM
Also tend to find that Marks and Spencer Hold ups to be good and long lasting xx
krs22
6 posts. Member since Oct 2020
6th Oct '21 - 11:41AM
another tip for preventing ladders is to carry clear nail varnish with you and if you catch your stocking, dab a bit onto the little hole before it runs
User deleted
Angie55
User no longer active
6th Oct '21 - 13:08PM
Yes, that’s good too.. ?
Jian
Jian
24 posts. Member since Jul 2018
6th Oct '21 - 21:00PM
I can't imagine that they are much different to stockings - have you tried putting them on with a sock over each hand (you can buy special gloves but this seems a bit unnecessary!) I'm terrible at putting them on but usually OK once they are in place, if laddering once they are on is the problem then I don't know; I have clicked a few good pairs by not being careful enough of client's watches and belt buckles! I often buy mine from Stockings HQ which have lots of choice and are very reasonably priced.
User deleted
AnnabelleM
User no longer active
7th Oct '21 - 09:59AM
I second StockingsHQ, it's great. My favourite everyday stockings on there are the Transpereze Sara ones, partly because at 20 denier they're a lot tougher then 10 and 15. They don't seen to do an equivalent in hold-ups, but there are some 20d hold-ups from other brands on there.

If you tend to rip them at the toes, make sure you're getting reinforced toes. If it's the heel, have a look at the RHT section.
SrAnna
6 posts. Member since Oct 2021
7th Oct '21 - 23:14PM
hmmm I hate wearing hold ups but i guess you ladies have to ! Ive tried all the ones from J lewis, m&s etc and to be honest the ones that ive found to be the best have been from asda at 2.99 and primark 2 pounds a pair! Its shocking but true, i hate shopping in primark but I go there once every few months and get loads at a time, I mean with 2 pounds a pair you cant go wrong.
BlondeCleo
6 posts. Member since Jul 2021
11th Oct '21 - 11:23AM
I have suddenly got into stocking and suspenders - was not a great fan of the suspenders to be honest but got a new belt and feels comfortable and hey ho - guess what - the stockings have not laddered!!!!

Anyway - another question - and I sound like a real twat here but tell me something - is there a knack in doing up stockings - I seem to fiddle a bit with doing the one on at the back of the leg!!!

Gosh I sound like a stupid little girl but seriously I am a bit of a stocking novice as holds ups were my preferred choice but suddenly this week find that the stockings could be the thing for me from now on!!!
EvaHott
3 posts. Member since May 2021
12th Oct '21 - 19:31PM
I usually wear the pull-on suspender belt from SHQ because it's comfortable and unfussy.

I don't think there's a knack to doing the clips, just that some people are more flexible than others. It might be that you don't need to reach as far back as you think though, just clip it where you can get it and see if it looks ok.
MellyAlly
7 posts. Member since Nov 2020
20th Oct '21 - 10:43AM
Some clients like them to ladder and rip.
HotSexyMelissa
6 posts. Member since May 2020
28th Oct '21 - 21:16PM
Gorilla glue

This thread is now closed